So, Bob Dylan is back in New Zealand in a couple of months – it’ll be my first time seeing him in over a decade, and I’m amped. Tickets to the gig purchased, flights booked, I’ve been reading a few Dylan books, I’ve revisited his Nobel Prize speech, I’m in deep with the catalogue working through every official album in order, and I’ve been finding a few new-to-me bootleg recordings too. Plus I’m listening obsessively to the Pod Dylan podcast which goes through his work song-by-song.
I’m going in way too prepared. But that’s my right. And my wont. It’s Bob Dylan after all. I named a blog after one of his records. He’s the guy that stands highest on the mountain for me. He shines the brightest torch. (Hat Tip: Robbie Robertson).
Dylan doesn’t play for you – he plays for himself. It’s a Never-Ending Tour, now 30 years old. He plays a pretty decent selection currently – and you can find out what he plays very easily.
That link there will show you what’s mostly been on the cards for the 2018 tour. I’ve decided to make it into a playlist – for me, and for you if you want it…
He’s on a tour-break at the moment and maybe the next leg will see a few new songs added or some of these subtracted. We’ll know in a month when he goes through South East Asia and on to Australia…
But for now – he’s (mostly) playing this generous, reasonably wide-ranging selection:
1. Things Have Changed (The Wonder Boys soundtrack)
2. Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right (The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan)
3. Highway 61 Revisited (Highway 61 Revisited)
4. Simple Twist of Fate (Blood On The Tracks)
5. Duquesne Whistle (Tempest)
6. Melancholy Mood (Fallen Angels)
7. Honest With Me (Love & Theft)
8. Trying To Get To Heaven (Time Out Of Mind)
9. Come Rain Or Come Shine (Fallen Angels)
10. Pay In Blood (Tempest)
11. Tangled Up In Blue (Blood On The Tracks)
12. Early Roman Kings (Tempest)
13. Desolation Row (Highway 61 Revisited)
14. Love Sick (Time Out Of Mind)
15. Autumn Leaves (Shadows In The Night)
16. Soon After Midnight (Tempest)
17. Thunder On The Mountain (Modern Times)
18. Long And Wasted Years (Tempest)
19. Blowin’ In The Wind (The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan)
20. Ballad of a Thin Man (Highway 61 Revisited)
So, clearly, if you haven’t ever heard the album Tempest then you need to get onto that. Or just check out the selections on the playlist below – or in the link back at the top.
You can support Off The Tracks via PressPatron